ECO Church is a scheme that helps us to identify how we can care better for God’s earth across the following 5 key areas of Church Life:-
- Worship and teaching
- Management of church buildings
- Management of church land
- Community and global engagement
As we do more in each area, we build up points towards an award. To help us focus more on the environment and work towards gaining our bronze award, we have established an ECO Group. We meet around once every 6 to 8 weeks and would love to welcome new members.
Find out more at https://ecochurch.arocha.org.uk/how-eco-church-works/
If you are interested in doing something to help our planet for Lent, our suggestion this year is to look at Living Lent (http://www.livinglent.org/) which encourages people to consider changing habits during lent for benefit of Climate.
Seasonal fruit an Vegetables
Eating UK grown seasonal fruit and vegetables is a great way of reducing your carbon footprint and is much tastier too. Things to look out for in April include:-
- Purple Sprouting Broccoli
- Spring Greens
Click here for a full list.
Locally grown fruit and vegetables can be purchased at the following Farmers Markets:-
- Droitwich Spa – Victoria Square, WR9 8DS – First Saturday of the month
- Webbs of Wychbold – WR9 0DG – Second Saturday of the month
Creation Time Sermon – Jeremy Kidwell
Jeremy Kidwell was our visiting speaker during Creation Time in the autumn. If you missed his sermon or would like to listen again, you can find it by clicking here.
Songs of Praise – Churches Go Green
The Songs of Praise theme for the 3rd of March was ‘Churches go Green’ . A number of Churches who are caring for God’s Creation in different ways were visited and interviewed. For those of you who can access the BCC iplayer, the episode is still available.
To help understand the relative impact that each of us has on our changing climate and how we can reduce this, we are encouraging everyone to complete a carbon footprint calculation. There are various different versions available. Two examples to try are:-
https://footprint.wwf.org.uk/ quick and straightforward from WWF (note does not work in some browsers)
https://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx more accurate but much more time consuming.
Links to some resources that might be of interest:-
- Encouragment for people to consider changing habits during lent for benefit of Climate http://www.livinglent.org/
- Plastic less lent 2019
- Eco Christmas Tips 2018
- ECO Church https://ecochurch.arocha.org.uk/award scheme for churches in England and Wales who want to demonstrate that the gospel is good news for God’s earth.
- Church Care : Shrinking the Footprint http://www.churchcare.co.uk/shrinking-the-footprint The C of E national program to address Climate Change
- Operation Noah http://operationnoah.org/ – a Christian charity working to inspire action on Climate Change
- https://www.carbonbrief.org/ – A UK-based website covering the latest developments in climate science, climate policy and energy policy
- https://cafod.org.uk/Campaign/Climate/Climate-Change – CAFOD on Climate Change
- https://www.kathyjetnilkijiner.com/united-nations-climate-summit-opening-ceremony-my-poem-to-my-daughter/ – a poem from the 2014 UN climate summit opening ceremony
- https://350.org/rise-from-one-island-to-another/ – a moving poem about the impact of Climate Change on two islanders from opposite ends of the earth